- slide 1 of 3
What Features of Antivirus Program to Consider?
The ideal security program to protect against virus, Trojans, worms, adware, rootkits, spyware, potentially unwanted programs (PUP's), and other types of malware should provide, if not all but most, of the following features:
- Over 95% of protection or detection, in real-time, against all types of malware threats using signature and behavior-based detection engines.
- Automatic and manual update
- Removable drive scan
- Exclusion and Quarantine Manager
- Scan and update scheduler
- Single file or context menu scanner
- Quick scan or Smart scanner, in addition to full and custom scanner.
- Manual submission of suspicious and falsely detected files
- Fast detection on known and zero-day malware
- Low CPU usage
- Easy installation that requires no reboot after the install process
- Straight-forward User Interface
- Does not include unnecessary third-party software or add-ons
- Effective malware removal engine
- Provides browsing protection and checks for unsafe downloads
- Scan email attachments when downloading messages from the server
To make it easy for end-users in choosing the best adware, spyware, antivirus program software, we brought here the selected few because of effectiveness even though it is free anti-spyware and antivirus protection only.
- slide 2 of 3
Best Antivirus Programs
Although Avast has flagged very little malware in the past, the new version seem to provide good detection against malware threats, and in real-time. The boot-time, browsing protection and e-mail scanners are the features in Avast that one will definitely love to have. Antivir by Avira should not be forgotten especially since it continues in winning the malware tests for many months already. If only Avira provided better browsing protection in its free edition, by blocking in real-time rogue spyware websites, only then it should be used by non-advanced users.
The detection engines by PC Tools Antivirus Free and Microsoft Security Essentials are something you should not ignore. Both provide basic features in using the program, but many advanced users actually prefer such standalone and simple to use antivirus programs with effective detections. Note that Microsoft Security Essentials can be installed in home and small office on up to 10 PC's.
- slide 3 of 3
Anti-Spyware and Anti-Malware Software
Not all antivirus programs can detect all types of malware, which is why many of us continue to add extra layers of protection or use additional scanners to enable protection from spyware and other types of malware. We have to note also that not all anti-malware programs can detect what an antivirus program will protect against.
Best Antispyware and anti-malware programs
For real-time protection against malware and spyware, consider using Ad-Aware Free, ThreatFire, Windows Defender, or Spybot – Search and Destroy because all of these programs provide real-time protection, to complement antivirus software. Check out also the comparison on Panda Cloud-AV versus ThreatFire.
Best malware removal software
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is one the best spyware and malware removal program that we must have if we want to clean computers that are infected.
Best on-demand malware scanner
EmsiSoft Anti-Malware is a free program to scan computers for malware. EmsiSoft uses two scan engines which is the reason it can detect more than Malwarebytes and also because EmsiSoft can scan malware in PDF, zip, rar, cab, and jar files, which is lacking in Malwarebytes.
Screenshot courtesy of Microsoft http://www.microsoft/security