- slide 1 of 6
Security Software Vendors for Windows and Mac computers
There are plenty of computer security software companies offering solutions for protecting home, office and business (small, medium and enterprise) computers. Some security software vendors provide free security software with limited functionality and support.
Different antivirus vendors use different techniques for detecting and repairing computers with malicious software infections. They implement different methods of protecting PC's by providing signatures and heuristic and cloud-based detections. Others include community-based and Host-based Intrusion Prevention (HIPS) to report a malicious or suspicious activity in the computer or network. A number of security software vendors also include a sandbox mechanism, allowing users to run applications in isolated or protected mode.
Below are the major computer security software companies providing malware and network protection for Windows, Linux or Mac operating systems.
- slide 2 of 6
Avast, AVG, AntiVir, BitDefender and Outpost
- Agnitum Ltd. – Founded on 1999 at St. Petersburg, Russia. The company originally developed two products called Jammer and Tauscan, which is now discontinued. To date, Agnitum offers a variety of protection such as Outpost Antivirus, Outpost Firewall Pro and Security suite. They previously released a free and standalone firewall but they replaced it by offering Outpost Security suite free edition. Agnitum also offers Outpost Network Security for small and medium business.
- Avast Software – Formerly known as Alwil Software which is based in Prague, Czech Republic. Avast software was first released on 1988 offering Avast free, Avast Pro and Avast Internet Security programs. Business users should check out the managed or servers protection offering by Avast.
- AVG Technologies – Found in Czech Republic on 1991, AVG provides security solutions for home users with AVG free and they make a commercial edition of AVG antivirus and Internet security suite. AVG for Business is also available. AVG acquired LinkScanner by Exploits Labs and now offer the standalone and free LinkScanner as browsing protection.
- Avira GmbH – German antivirus software company founded on 1988 offers home and business solutions – Avira Free, Avira AntiVir Premium, Avira Premium Security Suite. Avira often beats other security software e.g. NOD32, Avast and AVG. It also scored high in the latest Top 10 free antivirus comparison. Avira also offers products for small and medium business.
- BitDefender – Softwin owned company and founded on 2001 with headquarters in Romania, BitDefender offers antivirus, Internet security and Total security protections for home and office users. They also provide BitDefender security solutions for small and corporate business such as BitDefender Security for File Servers, Client Security and many more. A free edition with no real-time protection of BitDefender is available.
- slide 3 of 6
CA, Comodo, Emsisoft, NOD32, F-Prot and F-Secure
- CA Technologies – CA headquarters is located in New York, USA and was founded on 1976. The company provides IT Management and home security solutions such as CA Anti-Virus and Internet security suite. A free version of CA antispyware is available in Yahoo Toolbar.
- Comodo Group, Inc. – Founded in 1998 in New Jersey, USA providing security solutions for corporate and small business. Comodo also offers free antivirus, firewall and Internet security suite. The commercial edition of home security software by Comodo includes support. Comodo is also offering free email certificates for personal use. SSL certificate products are one of the main business offerings by the company.
- Emsi Software GmbH – Located in Austria and founded on 2003 offering free Emsisoft anti-malware solution for personal use. Emsisoft acquired the firewall software Online Armor which is offered as freeware and commercial product.
- ESET, LLC – Founded in 1992 at Slovakia, Eset provides powerful but simple to use antivirus and Internet security suite for home users. Business solutions of NOD32, ESET Windows Mobile and Smart Security are also available for Windows and Mac computers. Check out NOD32 vs. Kaspersky comparison.
- Frisk Software – Frisk was established in 1993 in Iceland. The company provides standalone F-Prot antivirus software for home and corporate users.
- slide 4 of 6
Security Software Companies and Certifications
Security software products are certified based on certification tests done by independent testing companies or groups. Some security software will pass virus detections but fail in virus removal tests. Ideal security software should pass both tests to gain confidence from existing and potential customers.
Below are the rest of the major computer security software companies offering security solutions for home and office or business environments.
- slide 5 of 6
VirusBarrier, Kaspersky, Ad-Aware, McAfee and Microsoft Security Essentials
- Intego – The popular provider of antivirus solutions for Mac operating system. The company offers VirusBarrier for Mac and it was first established on 1997 in France.
- Kaspersky Lab ZAO – Kasperskys’ headquarters is located in Russia and was founded on 1997. The company offers Kaspersky Antivirus, Internet Security and PURE for home users. Business solutions are also available. Check-out this Kaspersky vs. Norton article.
- Lavasoft – The widely-used anti-spyware developer of Ad-Aware was founded in Sweden on 1999. The company continues to offer free Ad-Aware Internet security and the commercial products for home and business.
- McAfee – The California, USA-based security software vendor was founded on 1987 offering McAfee antivirus and McAfee Total Protection. McAfee acquired SiteAdvisor and continues to offer the freeware version, in addition to offering the Plus edition.
- Microsoft Corporation – Microsoft offers security solution for licensed users of Windows. Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials are offered as free security solutions for home. Small businesses with 10 computers may also use Microsoft Security Essentials. Medium and enterprise users can take advantage of Microsoft Forefront.
- slide 6 of 6
Panda, Sophos, VIPRE, Norton, Trend Micro and ZoneAlarm
- Panda Security – Founded in Spain on 1990, Panda Security provides security software solutions for home and business. Panda Cloud Antivirus free and Pro editions are the newest product offering.
- Sophos – Founded on 1985 in England, Sophos provides antivirus and network protection for home and business environments. Sophos also offers free antivirus for Mac computers.
- Sunbelt Software – Sunbelt, a U.S.-based security vendor from Florida was established on 1994. The company provides VIPRE antivirus and they have integrated the acquired firewall by Kerio by offering VIPRE Premium. The company was acquired by GFI Software (the maker of GFI LANguard) earlier this year.
- Symantec – Founded in 1982 at California, USA. Symantec provides the most sensational and popular antivirus software in the market by offering Norton Ghost, Norton antivirus, Internet Security suite and Norton 360. Free removal of malware is also offered by Symantec by releasing Norton Power Eraser.
- Trend Micro – Founded in Japan on 1988, Trend Micro continues to provide the popular Worry-Free security solution for business users. Trend Micro also offers Internet security and antivirus for home users. The popular CWShredder and HijackThis, a free tool was acquired by Trend Micro when thousands of Internet users are under-attack by CWS spyware. The company also offers solution for Mac users, called Trend Micro Smart Surfing.
- Zone Labs – Founded in 1993 with headquarters in Israel. The company has enjoyed popularity from Internet users for providing free ZoneAlarm firewall. Zone Labs was acquired by Check Point in 2004 which markets ZoneAlarm ForceField, and continues to provide the free firewall and also offering antivirus, Internet security and Extreme suites.
Image credit: Screenshot taken by the author.