BartPE is a great tool that allows you to run utilities on your computer if your main operating system doesn’t work. In this how to guide, I’ll walk you through how to create a BartPE disc and include BartPE plugins for detecting and removing viruses and spyware.
Preparing for BartPE
BartPE is a great troubleshooting tool to use under any number of circumstances from performing disk checks to virus or spyware removal. This guide will show you how to make a BartPE with virus check and spyware ISO or CD.
Before we get started, you’ll need to make sure you have a copy of Windows XP on hand.
Download the BartPE Builder package. The PE Builder will create a custom XP install that you can run from a disk without affecting your main operating system.
Download the free edition of Adaware and McAfee Stinger.
- Install Ad-Aware as you would normally. Pay attention to the install location as you will need to point PE Builder to some files when we build the BartPE CD. Be sure to perform an update of Ad-Aware to ensure you have the latest definitions.
- Double click on the PE Builder download from step one. Select the desired language and click OK.
- Click Next on the remaining pages altering options as desired.
Using the BartPE Disc
- To use the new CD to scan for viruses or Spyware, insert the CD in your drive and reboot your computer. Be sure your computer is set to boot from disc.
- When BartPE starts up, click No when asked whether to enable network support (Figure 5).
- You can now go to Go, Programs Ad-Aware SE or McAfee Stinger (Figure 6).
With that, you can now use BartPE to check your computer for Spyware and viruses. Be sure to periodically update your BartPE ISO image in order to keep your virus and spyware definitions current.
Image Credits: Screenshots taken by R. Tetzlaff