Free Antivirus and Spyware Removal for Mac
Being able to obtain "free" antivirus and spyware removal for Mac is very valuable. Not only do Mac users pay nothing, but it allows users the opportunity to download a utility online that may help remove, if not prevent, viruses and spyware.
Here are a few "free" options for Mac users.
PC Tools iAntiVirus - is an excellent utility that scans the Mac to ensure it remains safe and virus free.
ClamXav - is a great virus checker for Mac users.
iWorkServices Trojan Removal Tool - is available to download (at CNET) for free to remove the iWorkServices Trojan horse from infected Macintosh computers running Mac OS X.
Note: Mac Trojan horse OSX.Trojan.iServices.A is launched as soon as a user begins the installation of iWork.
Mac Trojan Horse OSX.Trojan.iServices.B is found bundled with copies of Adobe Photoshop CS4 for Mac.
* Both security alerts (OSX.Trojan.iServices.A/B) are found in pirated software distributed via BitTorrent trackers and other sites containing links to pirated software. Intego.com (News > Press Releases) has more info and details about them.
Alternatively, there's the option of buying a product, like:
Virus Barrier X5 - is a complete virus and spyware scanner. Price: $69.95 (for the full version).
- New: Intego VirusBarrier X6 (30-day free trial). For Mac OS X 10.5 and 10.6.
- New: Internet Security Barrier X6 (30-day free trial). For Mac OS X 10.5 and 10.6.
ProtectMac - is a good virus protection program. Price: $44.99.
- Note: To try ProtectMac, download the demo to enjoy a 30-day free trial.
MacScan - is a cost-effective anti-spyware solution for Mac OS X. Price: $29.99.
- Note: To try MacScan, download the demo to enjoy a 30-day free trial.