Others Steps to Solve Installation Errors of Microsoft Security Essentials
Step 3: Start Windows in Selective Startup mode
Type msconfig in Run/Search box in Windows then press enter.
- In General tab, click Selective Startup and then clear the Load Startup Items check box.
- In the Services tab, select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then clear all the check boxes for the services that remain in the list.
- Click OK to apply the selection. Restart the PC and try installing Microsoft Security Essentials.
Step 4: Review the Installation Log of Microsoft Security Essentials
- Locate msseInstall.log in Windows XP - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft Security Essentials\Support or in Vista and Windows 7 – C: \ProgramData\Microsoft\Microsoft Security Essentials\Support
- Open the log file and use the find tool to search for “return value 3". If the log has the following items, proceed to the step below:
MSI (s) (CC:2C) [13:27:24:987]: Hello, I’m your 32bit Elevated custom action server.
MSI (s) (CC:E0) [13:27:25:283]: User policy value ‘DisableRollback’ is 0
MSI (s) (CC:E0) [13:27:25:283]: Machine policy value ‘DisableRollback’ is 0
Action ended 13:27:25: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.
Click Start then click Run/Search. Type this command: CACLS “c:\documents and settings\all users\desktop" /t /g everyone:f to give everyone permission to the desktop.
- Next, type the following to give everyone a permission to the Programs Menu:
For Vista and Windows 7, type: CACLS “C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" /t /g everyone:f
For XP, type: CACLS “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs" /t /g everyone:f
- Reboot the computer and try installing Microsoft Security Essentials again.
If none of the above steps help in solving the installation of Microsoft Security Essentials, proceed to submitting an online support case to Microsoft. If you are in the U.S. or Canada, you may also call Microsoft at 1-866-727-2338 for support. A support forum for Microsoft Security Essentials is also available, in case you want to see if other people have shared any work-arounds to solve the installation process of the antivirus program by Microsoft.
For end-users who only want to fix Microsoft Security Essentials by resetting its settings, try using Fix MSE Utility by The Windows Vista Club.