Removing MalwareBytes’ Anti-Malware Program is a quick process but in some cases, the removal process will leave some traces in the computer. If you need some tips about removing MalwareBytes, read this article for help.
How to Remove MalwareBytes
If you have problems in using MalwareBytes, are receiving MalwareBytes’ error codes, or if a malware has damaged the installation of the scanner and its files, you can try methods below in order to remove MalwareBytes. You can also use this method if you have to reinstall MalwareBytes.
MalwareBytes Error Codes
The following error codes in MalwareBytes require a removal and reinstallation of the program:
- Error 701 – The database was empty
- Error 707 - Error during enumeration of languages
- Error 708 – Error loading selected language
- Error 714 - Error translating item
- Error 715 - Could not find the module handler
- Error 717 - Database failed to download correctly
- Error 723 - Could not find the SwissArmy driver
- Error 730 - Unable to load the database
Removing Malwarebytes using Add/Remove Programs or AppRemover
- Open Add/Remove Programs Utility in Windows to select MalwareBytes Anti-malware in the list. Double-click or click “Remove" or “Uninstall". You can also run the Uninstaller of MalwareBytes by selecting “Uninstall MalwareBytes Anti-Malware" by navigating to Start → Programs or All Programs → MalwareBytes Anti-Malware directory.
- Restart the computer after removing the program
Download and run the MalwareBytes clean-up utility (mbam-clean.exe) from the vendors’ website.
- Proceed to running the clean-up utility and be sure to allow the computer to be restarted when prompted.
Download and run AppRemover.
- Choose “remove security applications" to remove MalwareBytes or select “clean up a failed uninstall" if MalwareBytes failed to be removed using the Add/Remove Programs utility in Windows
- Select MalwareBytes in the list but do not select other security programs that you don’t want to be removed using AppRemover.
- Reboot when prompted.
Uninstalling Malwarebytes using Revo or CCleaner
Download and install the free version of Revo Uninstaller
- Configure Revo Uninstaller to use Advanced Mode using its Options menu
- Locate MalwareBytes Anti-Malware in the list of programs. Right-click to Uninstall or just highlight MalwareBytes then click the “Uninstall" button. Click Yes to proceed with removing the selected program.
- Choose “Advanced" as Uninstall Mode then select yes in the uninstall dialogue box.
- Revo will scan the system’s registry for any leftovers by MalwareBytes. Put a checkmark on all “bolded" items. Do not put a checkmark in non-bolded objects. Click “Delete" to proceed in removing any leftovers by MalwareBytes program. Do the same when Revo scans for files and folders of MalwareBytes. Reboot the computer when done.
Download and install the slim installer of CCleaner. Open CCleaner → Tools → Uninstall. Select MalwareBytes’ in the list of programs to remove. Click the “Run Uninstaller" button at the right pane. Proceed to remove MalwareBytes. Reboot the computer.
- Select “Registry" in the left pane of CCleaner and click the “scan for issues". Allow it to fix the leftovers of MalwareBytes from the registry. You should allow CCleaner to create a registry backup if you are fixing many registry entries.
If you continue to have problem in removing MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, you should try to disable any real-time protection by other malware scanners before trying any of the above methods again, or visit the MalwareBytes support forums and seek assistance from their team.