- slide 1 of 1
Windows XP continues to be widely used by home and business users due to its stability. Windows XP is a stable operating system because Microsoft has released three Service Packs already that fixes most bugs and known issues. Also, Windows XP’s system requirements is lower than the requirement of the newer operating system that most business users find unnecessary to upgrade to newer system unless it is no longer supported by Microsoft. A Windows XP with SP3 is supported until April 8, 2014 that’s why most software including antivirus vendors continue in providing protection against malware. If you are looking for free antivirus software for windows XP, take a look at this article and choose which antivirus program is best to install in your XP system.
- Alwil Avast! 5 – This program supports XP and other edition of Windows. The new design of its user interface is a big advantage to end-users who never like the media player look in previous edition. You only need to be careful with the installer because Avast’s installer comes bundled with unnecessary application in protecting the system, Google Chrome.
- Avira AntiVir – The lightest antivirus program that I’ve seen but lacking Web Guard protection which is a must to have from antivirus program nowadays. AntiVir supports XP, Vista and Windows 7. Also providing daily incremental updates that most people with slow connection will enjoy.
- AVG Antivirus – This is one of the popular free antivirus programs for XP users not only because it’s free but also, it has email scanner, LinkScanner and daily updates. AVG Security toolbar is included in its installer but not necessary to install to continue using its protection.
- Microsoft Security Essentials – The antimalware and antivirus program by Microsoft has gained popularity to people who want standalone antivirus protection. It supports XP, Vista and Windows 7.
- Panda Cloud Antivirus – Cloud-based protection is offered by Panda Security and also gained popularity because it is free and there’s no need to download maintain definitions update everyday as the antivirus detection is cloud-based.
- PC Tools AntiVirus Free Edition – An antivirus program by PC Tools and supports XP system. The detection is not bad with limited real-time protection using its IntelliGuard.
- Comodo Antivirus – Comodo AV is part of Comodo Internet Security. You will need to uncheck installation of its firewall, any toolbar that is not necessary to install, if you want only the antivirus program. Comodo AV supports XP, Vista and Windows 7.
- Immunet Protect Community AntiVirus – another cloud-based antivirus program that supports XP system and newer system. Immunet Protect offers real-time protection but I suggest improvement of its detection.
- Preventon Antivirus – If you are familiar with Sophism and Lavasoft, you will find their engines in Preventon Antivirus - It’s not popular yet but it’s free protection for XP and newer operating systems.
- Rising Antivirus Free Edition – Rising Antivirus is free antivirus software for Windows XP and Vista. Earlier edition of Windows OS is also supported. The detection on rogue and Trojans in the wild requires improvement though.
You’ll never regret installing a free edition especially if the program continues to be maintained to work to newer system and also with old but stable, Windows XP. To read antivirus program reviews, click here.