Perform a System Restore via Recovery Console
Follow these steps to restore from the recovery console.
In order to perform these steps, you will need to have your original Vista install disc.
1) Insert the Vista install disc and start your computer - you will need to boot off the disc. Please refer to your computer manual for instructions on how to do this if you are unsure.
2) After a few moments, you will be able to choose the option to "Repair your computer."
3) Click Next. From the System Recovery dialog, select System Restore.
4) You will be presented with the same list of restore points that you would have, had you been in Windows. Select the Restore Point you wish to use and follow the remaining prompts to complete the process.
5) After several minutes, the restore will be complete and the computer will reboot.
Although System Restores can eat up a good chunk of disk space, this potential drawback is easily outweighed the first time you use a system restore to bring your computer back to life after a bad install.