Comparing ESET to the Competition
Here are the pros and cons of ESET Smart Security 4.
- Has its own personal firewall.
- Offers high performance and proactive detection against viruses.
- Can identify and stop malware.
- It has an effective spam filter.
- Can safeguard users from deceptive forms of malware.
- Lacks firewall registry protection.
- There is no privacy/parental controls.
- It doesn't provide local data backup protection.
- Does not have anti-phishing capabilities.
- The anti-spyware falls short of the standards set by higher ranked products.
On the negative side, it does not compare to Webroot Internet Security Essentials, which provides online backup and restore capabilities to ensure files are protected against damage or loss. As well, it has protection of online activity; therefore, offering privacy and parental control of which the ESET Smart Security lacks. On the positive side, ESET's Internet suite software is built around ESET's NOD32 Antivirus 4, which is an award-winning antivirus and antispyware engine that stops most new threats pro-actively.
Compared to the Norton Internet Security 2011, ESET has an effective spam filter for its Internet suite, whereas, Norton does not (as reported by consumers). Also, Norton's interface is said to be hard to read, while ESET has made a new interface and keyboard shortcuts more user-friendly to simplify use and improve the user interface.
Another comparable product is Kaspersky Internet Security 2011, which would make a great addition to any computer, but is more expensive ($79.95) than ESET ($59.99). However, a less expensive software is the 2011 version of BitDefender Internet Security ($49.95), which is getting a lot of attention on the market. It is also a top Internet security suite at an affordable price. On the down side, BitDefender's Search Advisor technology is not as strong as some of the competition.
In summary, ESET's Internet suite with its added personal firewall and antispam technology to ESET NOD32 Antivirus makes it an ideal all-in-one security solution that has shown to outperform many of its competitors. It is a great option. Why not give it a try (it has a free 30-day trial) to see if it suits your PC needs.