- slide 1 of 5
ESET's Internet security software prevents malicious code from entering or running on a user's system with its built-in anti-virus, anti-spyware, and anti-spam features. It provides the protection user's require to be able to use the Internet and avoid security threats from the web or emails. It also includes a firewall to protect files and information from being stolen or corrupted.
- Version: 18.104.22.168
- File size: 46.49 MB. It will use around 50MB of RAM when running.
- Operating System (OS) requirements. Microsoft Windows 7/Vista/Home Server/XP/2000
Note: To download the free trial version, a username and password are requested by ESET.
- slide 2 of 5
Comparing ESET to the Competition
- Has its own personal firewall.
- Offers high performance and proactive detection against viruses.
- Can identify and stop malware.
- It has an effective spam filter.
- Can safeguard users from deceptive forms of malware.
- Lacks firewall registry protection.
- There is no privacy/parental controls.
- It doesn't provide local data backup protection.
- Does not have anti-phishing capabilities.
- The anti-spyware falls short of the standards set by higher ranked products.
On the negative side, it does not compare to Webroot Internet Security Essentials, which provides online backup and restore capabilities to ensure files are protected against damage or loss. As well, it has protection of online activity; therefore, offering privacy and parental control of which the ESET Smart Security lacks. On the positive side, ESET's Internet suite software is built around ESET's NOD32 Antivirus 4, which is an award-winning antivirus and antispyware engine that stops most new threats pro-actively.
Compared to the Norton Internet Security 2011, ESET has an effective spam filter for its Internet suite, whereas, Norton does not (as reported by consumers). Also, Norton's interface is said to be hard to read, while ESET has made a new interface and keyboard shortcuts more user-friendly to simplify use and improve the user interface.
Another comparable product is Kaspersky Internet Security 2011, which would make a great addition to any computer, but is more expensive ($79.95) than ESET ($59.99). However, a less expensive software is the 2011 version of BitDefender Internet Security ($49.95), which is getting a lot of attention on the market. It is also a top Internet security suite at an affordable price. On the down side, BitDefender's Search Advisor technology is not as strong as some of the competition.
In summary, ESET's Internet suite with its added personal firewall and antispam technology to ESET NOD32 Antivirus makes it an ideal all-in-one security solution that has shown to outperform many of its competitors. It is a great option. Why not give it a try (it has a free 30-day trial) to see if it suits your PC needs.
- slide 3 of 5
Rating and Reviewing ESET
The ESET Smart Security 4 is highly rated as one of the best Internet Security suites on the market for 2011. (It has been ranked #5 of 23 products by TopTenREVIEWS.) It has received good editor and reviewer marks on CNET's Download.com site. (It received high marks in usability and effectiveness.) Note: ESET's older version that came out in 2009, in fact, won CNET's Editor's Choice Award. The latest version just got even better.
Here are some of the software key features in review:
- Anti-spyware protection. It detects and filters spyware, but it does not look at IMAP connections for email. But, when it detects spyware, it will alert the user at the earliest time possible.
- Anti-virus protection. The virus scanner detects a large amount of the newer viruses that have infected many PCs, but it has a tendency to miss older viruses. When it detects a virus, it will indicate a red warning. The program is able to clean the source before execution.
Overall, the program is a well-respected choice. It can safely protect PCs from viruses and other malicious programs. Briefly said, It is fairly reliable as a security defense. Users will find it easy to install and use. The software is a pretty good buy for the type of security protection it provides. It does however fall short of security performance (as pointed out in consumer reviews) with protection suites that have been ranked more favorably. In my opinion, the ESET Smart Security 4 is a must-have application on your system for complete protection, if you are not interested in the other Internet security suites.
- slide 5 of 5
TopTenREVIEWS: ESET Smart Security Review - http://internet-security-suite-review.toptenreviews.com/eset-smart-security-review.html
Best Internet Security Suite 2011 Reviews: http://www.filterguide.com/internetsecurity.review.htm
Review of ESET Smart Security Version 4.2: http://www.antivirusware.com/eset/smart-security/
Image Credit: ESET Smart Security 4
Screenshots Credit: Software.Informer