Getting New iChat Icons - Method 1
The ease of use that is found within iChat's icon replacement tools is so vast, that you can take literally any picture you have on your computer, any picture you find online, or any picture from your camera, and turn it into an icon. Here's how to do it:
- Firstly, you'll need to find a picture. If you don't already have one saved on your computer, you'll need to obtain it from the internet or from a camera you have. To do this, head over to Google, click on the "Images" tab at the top, and type in what you want. No need to add "icon" to the end of it per se- if you want a Deadmau5 icon, for instance, just type in "Deadmau5".
- Alternately, you can plug-in a camera that you've taken a good picture with, go into the camera's storage folder, and save the image you like to a memorable place on your computer. I recommend the desktop, simply because there's no way you can lose something if it's there and you've kept it tidy.
- Don't succumb to the need to crop the image down to icon size- iChat will allow you to crop it yourself within its own confines. If, however, you want to do heavy image editing (such as smearing, color sucking/injecting, etc), you'll need to do those with a program such as Adobe Photoshop CS or GIMP, the latter of which is free.
- Once you've done any potential editing, open up iChat. Look in the upper right hand of your contacts window and you should see a little square with your current buddy icon stuck inside of it, unable to get free.
- Click the buddy icon, and scroll down to where it says "Edit Picture" and click on that. This will open up a new window.
- You'll see your current buddy icon displayed within this window, as well as a box around it. Click on the "Choose..." button in the botton left hand of the screen. This will open up a browser where you can select the image that you just saved either to your desktop or another easily memorable folder.
- Navigate to your image, click "Open", and let it load into the editor/cropper. What you see is your image displayed within the black box outline; everything inside this box represents what people will see as your buddy icon. You can now drag the image around, change the size of the image using the slider, or simply hit "Set" to make it your buddy icon.
- When you've got a setting you like, hit "Set" and you're all done. It should become your icon without a hitch.