Installing Internet Explorer on Mandriva
Currently Internet Explorer 6, 5.5 and 5 are supported with Ies4Linux. Support for IE 7 is underway and in Beta but with some hacks you can get it to work. We will go through each process one by one.
You will have a much smaller download size for Internet Explorer because only the files that are required by IE will be downloaded and installed, meaning that the files required for Outlook connection, Media Player integration etc. are not installed.
To install Internet Explorer, you need to install WINE and cabextract packages. You can either go to your package manager to search and install, or you can simply issue the command urpmi wine cabextract from the terminal as a root user. When done, head over to the IEs4Linux download page and download the latest program version. Assuming that you have downloaded the file, named ies4linux-2.99.tar.gz, to your /home/user_name/downloads folder, here is what you need to do:
- Open up a terminal, switch to your download directory: cd /home/user_name/downloads
- Extract the tar.gz archive: tar -zxvf ies4linux-2.99.tar.gz (replace the filename to the one you have downloaded)
- Change to the directory tar that has inflated the contents: cd ies4linux-*
- Run the program: ./ies4linux
This process will install Internet Explorer 6 on your computer. To run Internet Explorer 7, you need to “hack" the program by making the program work with the IE 7 engine, rather than the IE 6 engine, but not “realize" it.
- Run the program with the hack option: ./ies4linux --hack-ie7-proxy-settings
- During the installation IE 6 will open. Go to the proxy settings and set them as necessary.
- Close IE 6 and the installation will proceed. All the proxy configuration you have made will be carried to IE 7.