Apple AirPort Extreme
Most users won't be too shocked to see this option at the top of the list. After all, it's native Mac hardware and Macs always play best with their own gadgets. That is not to say that the Apple AirPort Extreme cannot be used on a mixed network, it actually performs very well with other systems. It also has a range that should work for either a home or a small office.
Unlike many of the other choices you can also share printers and external hard drives with this model. If you can afford to buy this unit, it is by far your best choice.
The system is very fast because it operates in the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands simultaneously, giving you twice the speed. Don't worry if you're at work and not at home, this baby can offer use for up to 50 users at the same time.It can pretty much handle anything that a small, or even medium sized, office can throw at it.
The system also allows you to share your printers wirelessly. It also lets you use a USB hard drive as a shared drive, that way you do not have to waste storage resources. Files can easily be shared by everyone who needs them, no email or flash drives required.
The Official Specs Not Mentioned Above
- Wi-Fi Protected Access™ (WPA/WPA2)2
- Wireless security (WEP) configurable for 40-bit and 128-bit encryption
- MAC address filtering
- NAT firewall
- Support for RADIUS authentication
- 802.1X, PEAP, LEAP, TTLS, TLS, FAST
- Time-based access control
- One Gigabit Ethernet WAN port for connecting a DSL or cable modem
- Three Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports for connecting computers or network devices
- USB 2.0 port for connecting a USB printer or USB external hard drive
- 802.11n wireless