Step 3) Run a File Recovery Program
This is where things can go off in a lot of directions. You see, the next step requires you to use a file recovery program like REMO Recover in order to get those files back, but many of you probably have different file recovery programs already installed. Unfortunately, I can only cover how to use one of them, so I'll stick with the free program "PC Inspector" and guide you based on that. The steps shouldn't be too different for different programs though.
- Download PC Inspector (link in the references at the end of this guide).
- Run the installer and start up the program.
- With PC Inspector, you'll need to select the type of recovery you want to do. If you accidentally deleted some files, select the "Recover Deleted Files" option. If you can't access files on a drive because it became corrupted, select "Find Lost Files." If you can't even access the drive itself, select "Find Lost Drive". Between these three recovery options you should be able to get back any files you lost in any way.
- Select the drive that you want to recover data from, or the partition that you want to recover data from, and click the green check mark to begin the scan. Note that if you are recovering files, you'll need to select a place to save them on the internal hard drive of the computer you're using to run the scan.
- After the recovery process is complete, if it succeeded, you may be able to re-copy the files onto the external hard drive. It's recommended that (assuming you got everything you need) you format the drive first to eliminate corrupted data, and then proceed with the re-installation of files.
After you complete all of this, if things went well, you are totally and completely done with your Seagate external hard drive data recovery! You've got your files back, you hopefully didn't lose anything, and you can be back on track to get all of those computer-related tasks completed with ease and peace of mind. If the scan and recovery process did not work, post a comment on the exact situation and I'll see if I can help. Chances are you're out of luck, but it can't hurt to try!